Starting a blog can be a challenging task, most especially when you are a complete newbies and you don’t have any knowledge about it. But there is nothing to fear as this article I will be discussing how you can start a WordPress blog in less than 5 Minutes. How much does it cost to start a blog and what should be put in place when starting a WordPress blog.
How Much Does It Cost to Start a WordPress Blog
WordPress.org is a World Popular CMS (Content Management System) and over 45% of websites are created by WordPress such as company website, blogs and e-Commerce (online store) sites.
It is open-source software and is completely free. But to start a blog on the platform, you will need a domain name ($ 8.99 / yearly) and hosting (usually starting at $ 2.75 per month). And you will have to spend money on this and it completely depends on you what kind of niche you are trying to create.
Note: It is advisable you start from small and as your blog starts becoming popular, you can add more features to it. If you have any problem while creating a blog, then you can feel free to contact me.
Below are some Pros and Cons of using WordPress.org:
- You do not need coding knowledge while creating a blog. Just click on the WordPress software, then enter information about your blog and click on the install button. Your blog is ready.
- You have full control over your blog.
- There are Thousands of free and premium themes available that make your blog beautiful and professional.
- WordPress.org has over 45,000 free plugins available that help you add extra features to your blog.
- If there is an error in your blog, you can easily fix it with the help of the plugin. In addition, there are many tutorials available on the Internet.
- Due to it being more popular, hackers target it more. So you have to focus on security.
Requirements to Start a WordPress Blog
To start a WordPress blog you will need the following two things.
- Domain name – This is the name of your blog, users will write the name of your domain in their browsers (like wealthycafe.com.ng) to enable them to visit your blog.
- Web Hosting – This is just like a plot of land on the Internet where your blog/websites will be built on. It is also the place where your files and articles are being stored online.
So let’s get started…
How To Install WordPress & Start Writing Your First Blog
To Install WordPress by Yourself, all you need do is to just visit the last account set up sent to your email. Click on the “CPanel Login URL”
You don’t need to be guessing the detail as it may be too cumbersome, just copy and paste the details from your email account. You can as well save it in a notepad for future purpose. When done, click on “Login” and it will take you to your Cpanel Dashboard.
Now your hosting cPanel will open, once opened scroll down to the Software section and click on “Softaculous Apps Installer”. In the next page you will see “WordPress”.
Select WordPress and then click on the Install Now button. Below you can see in the screenshot,
How to Configuration Your New WordPress Blog
Now a new page will open in front of you, here you will have to enter your blog name, admin username, and password for your blog. Don’t worry, you can also change them later. Here is the guide below:
Scroll down to “Admin Account” for more configurations. Then scroll down to “Info” – you will see an overview for your selections. Details to note down.
Copy out your Path | URL | Admin URL
Path– this is logically for webmasters – it leads to your Cpanel.
URL – https://yourdomainname.com.ng – this is the link to your new website
Admin URL – https://yourdomainname.com.ng/wp-admin/ – this is the link to login to your new website.
You will also see some theme templates that you can install on your blog. But you don’t have to do this right now, I’ll tell you later how to install the theme on a WordPress later.
After entering your blog information, click on the Install button.
The WordPress installation process will start. It will take you about 1 minute. After the process is complete, the login and password information will be sent to the registered email address.
After the installation is complete, you will see a successful message at the top. Congratulation! You have created your first WordPress blog.
How To Install Themes And Plugins On Your WordPress Blog
Once your blog starts to open, you can login using the username and password. Your login page will look like this,
How to Install Theme in WordPress
Theme is the design of your WordPress blog. Just like on your mobile phone gives the esthetics – beauty to your background. The same thing with your blog theme, it defines the structure of your WordPress blog
When you build a WordPress blog, it comes with a default WordPress theme that is not attractive and professional looking.
But don’t worry, there are thousands of free and premium WordPress themes available in the market that you can install.
Login to your WordPress dashboard. Go to Appearance >> Themes page and then click on Add New button. You will see a gallery of WordPress themes. You can filter them by popular, latest, featured etc.
If you know the name of a free WordPress theme that you want to install on your blog, enter the name in the search field and click on the install button.
Apart from this, if you have a theme file, you can also upload and install it on your blog.
Once you install and activate the theme on your site, you can customize it by clicking Appearance >> Customize.
When there is some content on your blog, then you will be able to customize it better.
If you want to install a free theme on your blog, then I would recommend you to use GeneratePress or Hueman theme.
Essential Setup After Starting a WordPress blog
1. Delete Default Post, Page, and Comment – Login to your WordPress dashboard and go to Posts >> All Posts and delete the default “Hello world” post.
Just like the post, go to Pages >> All Pages and delete the default “Sample Page”.
Finally, click on “Comments” and delete the comment as well.
2. Set the timezone of the blog– Click on Settings >> General. Set the time zone of the blog according to your local time so that when you schedule a post, they are live according to your time zone.
3. Set WordPress Permalinks structure – WordPress comes with 5 types of Permalink structure but Default Permalinks structure is not SEO friendly. So click on Settings >> Permalinks and select Post Name and then click on the Save Changes button.
4. Update ping list – This helps in fast indexing if your site is brand new.
5. Change Site Title and Tagline – You can set up it during WordPress installation, or change it through the WordPress dashboard. Just click on Settings >> General option and add your site title and tagline.
6. Install SSL Certificate – This is the most important setting after creating a blog. Because it is a very important Google ranking factor. And HTTPS websites get higher rank in Google Search.
7. Delete Inactive WordPress Themes/Plugin – Inactive plugins and themes create security vulnerabilities for your blog.
Click Appearance >> Themes to see all your installed themes. If there is an Inactive WordPress Themes, then delete it. Similarly, you can delete the Inactive or unused Plugin by going to the plugin page.
8. Submit Your blog to Google Search Console – Connect your blog to Google Search Console. It gives valuable insights of your blog such as Crawl errors, Ranking Keyword, impressions and much more. Here’s an ultimate guide on Google Search Console – Complete Beginner’s Guide
9. Submit Sitemap – First, create a sitemap for your blog. After creating, click on the ‘Sitemaps’ option in the Google Search Console dashboard and paste the last part of the URL (sitemap_index.xml) then click on the Submit button.
10. Enable Spam Protection for Comment – You can deal with spam comment using Antispam WordPress Plugins. These plugins automatically block spam comments on your blog. And keeps you away from spam comment headaches.
11. Set Favicon – It is a small icon, appears in the address bar of the visitor’s browser. It makes your brand professional and credible. Here’s a list
How to Add Content to WordPress
WordPress comes with two content types – Post and Page
Post – Add a timestamp and is used by the blog. When you publish a post on your blog, it appears on the home page. Also, you can choose Categories and Tags for your post.
Let’s publish the first blog post on the blog.
First, click on Posts >> Add New. It will take you to the Post Editor panel. Write your post title and content and then click on the Publish button.
Like the post, click on Pages >> Add New. Write your page title and add the content in the text editor then click on the Publish button.
How to Create Menu to WordPress
WordPress comes with a powerful navigation menu system.
First of all, you need to go to Appearance >> Customize >> Menus. Enter a name for your navigation menu and click on the Create menu button. Then add Category or Page as per your requirement.
Now you have to choose a location for Navigation menus. These places are based on your WordPress theme. Typically, most WordPress themes have a primary menu that appears at the top.
Click on the save menu button to save your navigation menu.
How to Install Plugin in WordPress
Plugins work like apps for your blog. These help to add extra features to your WordPress blog such as contact forms, photo galleries, etc.
Click on Plugins >> Add New and enter the plugin name in the search field then click on the Install button. After installing the plugin, activate it.
Here are some plugins which are essential for any blog:
- Yoast SEO – Improves your WordPress SEO.
- WP Super Cache – This is a caching plugin. It generates a static HTML file of your blog and when a visitor visits your blog, it serves the static HTML files to visitors instead of heavier WordPress PHP scripts. And your blog load super fast.
- UpdraftPlus – Take a full backup of your blog.
- Wordfence Security – This is a security plugin and secures your blog with hackers or bad guys.
- GDPR Cookie Consent
- Elementor | SiteOrigin (or your visual editor of choice) – Freemium
- Shortpixel (to optimize images)
- XML Sitemaps: Sitemap generator that creates XML & HTML variants.
- Google Authenticator – Free (Extra Security Measures) or (Don’t forget to set 2FA using your WordFence)
How to Promote your Blog Posts
- Create social media accounts. The best once are Facebook | Instagram | Twitter or Pinterest.
- Join Forums and QnA communities. You can start with Quora.com | Medium | Nairaland | Tumblr
- Comment on related blogs in your niche.
- Tell friends about your blog.
- Create Backlinks.
Hope you found the post useful and comprehensive!! If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know in the comments below! Don’t forget to share!
You May Also Like: